Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Peru June 2012

*"He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less."-John 3:30*


*"We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ."-2 Cor. 10:5*


*"What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?"-Romans 8:31*

Another short-term trip to Peru has come and gone, and of course, it was not long enough. I savor any time I am able to spend there, and the Peruvian people mean so much to me. This time was different because Daniel went to, and it was our first mission trip together! So, a team of us went to San Juan de Lurigancho Peru, one of the poorest and populous districts in.the.world. These trips that Alison and Chuck lead are so awesome, yet so refreshing at the same time. We go, go, go in the short time that we're given, making the most of each and every opportunity! Everyone has the opportunity to pour out so much, yet we are constantly being refreshed by Jesus in them!

I don't care if it's a long-term trip, or a shorter one, our God is big enough to move in big ways, but He's also personal enough to do amazing things in everyone's lives, when we let Him! We have to give Him permission and authority to do what He wants in our lives and through us. However, I feel like on these shorter trips, Jesus does way more in my heart through those Peruvians than I could ever be used in their lives. We witnessed and had the opportunity to be a part of miracles, and we were also able to see the FRUIT OF PAST MIRACLES! That's always soo cool and special to me! People gettin' healed and findin' freedom ya'll!

I could talk forever about each and every experience, but it would take so incredibly long, so I'll just hit on some highlights.

The team was so awesome! Selfishly, I was kinda nervous before we left because I felt like I was going to be the awkward middle aged, 24 year old girl on our team, since most of the girls were so young, and some were a good bit older than me.  But I really feel like our team meshed so well, and I loved how open everyone was. There was so much healing that took place in each of our lives because of how open everyone was. I think people were confessing things that were holding them back from fullness in Jesus left and right! This allowed for Jesus to heal out hearts and use us to be His healing to them! It was such an honor to experience Peru with each and every person on the team, and it was encouraging to see so many girls who were younger than me be so bold, selfless, and full of love and compassion. He sets up these teams perfectly! There was a man named Tory who was an electrician, and was able to fix so much at Pat's Place. Also, there was a woman named Janet who has such an amazing gift to sing, but she can also speak out Spanish so naturally...such Jesus shining through! There were also several people who had experienced such awful abuse, and they were able to testify to God's sovereign goodness. We had pastors that could bring the word of God. I respect Mr. Chuck and Alison so incredibly much! Their love is contagious, and they continually pour out on these trips! Perfection!

We had the opportunity to spend so much time with the women and children at Pat's Place, the abused women's shelter. I really treasured the time spent with them on our down times, before breakfast and before dinner. One of my favorite people ever is a 17-year old named Betsy. I remember when I came to Pat's Place for the first time in November 2009, and Betsy, who had recently turned 15 and came to Pat's Place, had a 5-day old baby named Josias Wilbur. I've always called him Wilbur. Although she had been given a fresh start in this new home, she was so sad, and with much understanding! It's been so awesome to see her grow happier and more hopeful each time I see her. I remember June 2010, when I was there by myself for 3 weeks, and I was crying because I was homesick, and she took me to her room and painted my nails, and just spoke comforting words to me in spanish. She has grown up so much, and Wilbur is now 2 and a half years old! He is a crazy, precious mess and Betsy is going to school! So much hope at this place! I love it! I love everything about Pat's Place.

We were able to spend a couple days at an girl's orphanage, Hope House. Probably one of my favorite moments of the trip was when a sweet girl on our team named Felicia shared her testimony with the girls, and it opened up a door for us to spend time getting them to open up about their broken homes. All had crazy, terrible situations going on, and most are without a father. We prayed over all of them, and then the men on our team went around to each girl and lovingly embraced them the way a father should; the way Jesus continually embraces us. I don't think there was a dry eye in there. Daniel and I fell in love with them, and I wouldn't be surprised if one day (a long time from now) Jesus calls us and makes a way for us to be at a place like that. I would love that. I really hope He does!

Daniel and I were able to spend some time with the Urbanos on Tuesday. It's always such an awesome time to catch up with them (or try to, because of the language barrier). They always pour out all they have, and Mama Leo can sure cook.

Each night, we spent time with 3 different churches throughout the nine days. One day, we went out into the streets and did dramas, and total I believe there were over 100 people who made that important decision to give their heart and soul to Jesus and make Him their savior. So awesome to think about how each person that made that decision is so precious to Jesus, and we were able to direct them to one of the churches we were at so that they can become part of it and get poured into.

Jesus worked hard in my heart the whole week pertaining to fear of the future, fear of being alone, and fear of my health.---such bondage I've been allowing the devil to put me through!  Long story short, He opened up a way for me to cry all of that out one night...you know, those nasty, ugly cries that you hold in for a really long time, and then it just comes out all at once? Well, I know He wants me to trust Him in regards to those things. I think deep down, it all comes down to knowing just how crazy He is about me. I've been focused on the power of prayer during this past season, but it's still been challenging to pray with that faith! Matthew 17:20 says: "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."  That's the faith Jesus wants from us. We prayed a lot, and saw a lot on this trip! We had a medical clinic in which the whole purpose was to meet with individual people, try our best to give them medical help, and then pray for them to receive total healing! Ok, so for me, it's easy to pray for these things for other people, and really truly believe that Jesus hears it and answers in the way that glorifies His best, whether in Peru, Anderson, or wherever else it may be. But it's a lot more difficult to approach Jesus in prayer for myself with that faith! Well, Jesus wants none of that, and He showed me on Friday afternoon that I don't have to live in that bondage. Ok, so before I type anymore, I have to say that it wasn't like I was dying or anything, and it's not like I was paralyzed and then was healed to walk, but I still faced something that was so real to me..a fear that had been on my mind a lot. I have this weird heart flutter thing, and yeah, it's caused me to pass out in the past, and yeah, I hadn't been feeling 100% myself lately because it throws my body off when it flutters and it scares me. But I had this fear that I was going to pass out in Peru, and that I was going to be left hopeless...dumb I know, although we were in the midst of a third world country with a lot of chaos.. However, the scriptures say over and over again to not fear! How can I truly fear with Jesus as my Lord? And how can I fear after all of Jesus' promises that I know in my heart? Well, honestly, I'm human, so it's a struggle to not fear, but I have to allow it. So, guess what happened...I ate some chaufa( i love Peruvian chaufa) on our sight-seeing day, and not too long after getting on the bus to go back to San Juan, I looked at Daniel and said, "I'm either about to throw up or pass out" and then, I became wayyy out of it. Daniel is the bomb when this happens, and apparently he just talked to me over and over again, saying things like, "keep your eyes open. Don't go to sleep. Stay with me. I love you. We got this. Me, you, and Jesus, we got this." I couldn't see or hear though, and I don't remember that. Ok, so here is the incredible part: apparently Alison was praying right there with us, and she, I'm sure, was voicing some incredible truth. Then she told me to say, "I receive my total healing, in Jesus' name." I do vaguely remember saying that. But right away, I could see Daniel's green shirt, and my hearing began to come back, and my hands started tingling A LOT, I guess from the blood starting to circulate. Praise the Lord! He did a miracle IN ME. Ya'll, He is amazing, and I just got really emotional because of His undeserving LOVE for me. God can use any situation to show us HIS power to do only what He can....and for me, that was what it took. So, long story, short, I have learned the power of my words and the power of prayer. Jesus wants me to declare that He will never leave my side, and that He wants healing and fullness for my life.
Psalm 16:8-11 is so comforting to me, and Daniel actually read it earlier on in the week while we were in Peru: " I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety. For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave. You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever."

He is good all the time. There is no sweeter name. I know He did great things during our time in Peru, and we had the opportunity to be used by Him. He also did so much in my life, as He always does when we stretch ourselves and get out of our comfort zone. I will not fear about the future, but instead, I will declare what He has freely given me.



Muchas gracias Peru. TE AMO! Dios te bendiga!No hay otro Nombre- Kari Jone

1 comment:

  1. Gosh I loved this post! I love hearing about all that God does through your mission trips to Peru. You are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete